We are proud to be a Member of the Aquaponics Association, which each Spring the Aquaponics Association coordinates a nationwide educational event to bring more awareness to aquaponics called Tour De Tanks. Tour De Tanks allows commercial and hobbyists to display their systems and offers free tours to the public. This year GreenView Aquaponics is proud to be a host location for this event from Thursday-Sunday, May 15-18, 2014. To register for our free tours, please click here. This is a nationwide event, so if you are not local, check out the locator map to see if there is a tour available in your area.
We have Sunflower Microgreens! Yummy! Our microgreens are available for sale online as a pre-order for those in Lee, Charlotte and/or Collier counties at our square marketplace. Several other varieties are available as well, such as kale, radish, broccoli, pea shoots, and wheat grass for juicing! We offer farm pick up for the online pre-orders on Wednesdays from 4pm – 7pm and Saturdays from 10am – 2pm. Contact us if you need delivery or large quantities.
In our greenhouse whole organic sunflower seeds are planted in a soilless mixture and grown for 7 days until they become baby plants, also referred to as microgreens. These microgreens provide us with incredible health benefits and are delicious eaten as snacks on their own or can transform even the most ordinary of salads, sandwiches or wraps into a presentation that is equally impressive and nourishing. Simply put, sunflower microgreens are one of the best foods you can add to your diet for overall health and well being.
Unfortunately, like all microgreens, it is virtually impossible to find them fresh on the market. This is why we have set up a system that allows you to pre-order your sunflower microgreens to receive them the very same day that they are harvested.
- Sunflower greens are a nutritional powerhouse packed with vitamins A, B complex, D, and E; they also contain minerals including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
- They are a perfect source of complete protein. In fact, they are considered to be the most balanced of all of the sources of essential amino acids. Protein is well-known for its ability to repair muscle tissue and aid in enzymatic functions in the body.
- Sunflower microgreens may activate every cell in the immune system.
- They are high in B vitamins, especially folate. Folate (or folic acid) is a necessary B vitamin for pregnant women. Folate helps to protect babies from developing neural tube defects (NTDs). The combination of B vitamins also assists in the mother’s circulation as well as aids in stress relief. In fact, sunflower microgreens are rich in all of the nutrients that are important during pregnancy such as iron, calcium, essential fats, and folate.
- Sunflower microgreens are a rich source of lecithin, which helps break down fatty acids into an easily digestible water soluble form.
- They are rich in chlorophyll, which benefits many functions within the body, including building blood supply, revitalizing tissue, calming inflammation, activating enzymes, and deodorizing the body.
- Sunflower microgreen is a natural expectorant for chest congestion: In Ayurvedic medicine, these greens are thought to have the ability to encourage clearance of the lungs. Natural expectorants may also be used as a preventative measure against lower respiratory infections to deter the invasion of pathogens.
- They may boost your antioxidant capacity since these sunflower microgreens contain high amounts of vitamin E. Vitamin E works synergistically with vitamin C and selenium to reduce blood pressure, increase the elasticity of arteries and prevent heart disease.
- Sunflower microgreens may build the skeletal, muscular, and neurological systems.
- They may boost your fertility since they contain high amounts of zinc. Zinc is a well-researched mineral that is essential for the development of sperm.
- Sunflower microgreens are low in calories and high in nutrition, making them ideal for any natural and healthy fat loss program
DIY Dutch Bucket System for Aquaponics
Our dutch bucket system is based on the one in this YouTube video by mhpgardner with some improvements to make it work in our aquaponics system. Make sure if you are using recycled buckets that they are food grade or had something food grade stored in them. We planted ours with field peas and cucumbers. Let’s see how they do.